Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Defending champs fire into final

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

THE Royal Brunei Armed Forces Sports Council (MS ABDB) are one win away from defending their DST FA Cup after beating QAF FC 3-1 in the semi-finals at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas last night.

They will play the winner of tonight‘s semi-final clash between Najip FC and Indera Sports Club for the title on January 4.

Alhamdulillah we are in the final once again. I think QAF played very well but we were better,” said MS ABDB manager Major Pg Farisan Pg Metassan in an interview with The Brunei Times after the match.

“Luck was on our side too and all the hard work in training paid off tonight.

“Now we need to prepare well for the final and may the best team win on that day,” he said.

MS ABDB got their dream start early in the 5th minute through defender Affendy Hj Akup.

The centre-back found the back of the net after bouncing on a rebound after captain Ak Mohd Safri Pg Othman struck the wood work.

QAF FC’s Muhd Abu Bakar Mahari should have equalised when he was set through inside the penalty box but the striker fired the ball over the bar.

Muhd Haizul Rani Metusin squandered the chance to double his team’s lead when his volley went wide at the half hour mark.

MS ABDB continued to press for more goals and they were rewarded just before the half-time whistle when QAF's midfielder Hardi Anak Bujang accidentally headed in Adey Shariduan's cross for an own goal.

QAF were slightly better in the second-half, threatening first through Afindi Yati Tuah and then Muhd Abu Bakar but neither found a way past MS ABDB goalkeeper Mohd Tarmizi Hj Mat Johari.

It was the army men again who found the net when Hj Mohd Yusof Hj Mat Yassin scored from a free-kick in the 52nd minute.

Mohd Syafiq Jeffrey pulled one goal back for QAF FC when he headed home Mohd Hardyman Hj Abdul Lamit’s perfect cross from the right in the 71st minute.

Ak Mohd Safri should have made it 4-1 in the 80th minute when he was set through by Adey Shariduan – with only the goalkeeper to beat – but the captain fired the ball over the bar.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment