Search This Blog

Sunday, November 19, 2017


Ak Fauzi Pg Salleh
WIJAYA FC (featured pic) defied the cold and rainy weather to beat Menglait FC 3-1 in the DST Super League at the Berakas Sports Complex last night.
The rain hindered the game with the field drenched but Wijaya took the lead with an impressive shot from Badrul Anak Bujang from distance in the 26th minute.
Wijaya doubled their lead two minutes later after catching Menglait defenders napping.
Marhazif Ahad was sent through inside the area to fire the ball past goalkeeper Lim Jin Yee following a quick one-two.
Menglait tried to get back into the game utilising their wingers to mount attacks from both flanks but Wijaya defenders dealt with every cross brilliantly.
The second-half saw Menglait approach the game with intent and they finally found the net just nine minutes after the restart through Md Nazirul Azim Hj Annuar.
Wijaya stepped up their game right after and scored their third goal through Md Nasy’rul Wafiy Hj Hassan in the 65th minute to regain a two-goal lead.
Menglait were desperate to obtain a positive result by throwing their players forward but Wijaya defended very well.
The downpour made it harder for both teams to stay on their feet with the slippery surface resulting in several dangerous sliding tackles but Wijaya managed to hold on for the three points.
Menglait FC pose for a group photo prior to kickoff. Picture: Ak Fauzi Pg Salleh
Wijaya head coach Zul Duraman: "Both teams played their best tonight (last night) despite the bad weather, and I am glad that we came out the winner.
“We are targeting a top-three finish in the league this year and we have four matches left to play against some of the strongest teams so we need to be mentally and physically ready for that.
“The DST Super League is a tough league to be in with as all the teams are strong. So I need all my players to focus on these last few matches.”
Menglait head coach Khairul Bakar: "The game was good but the pitch condition didn’t help. We made a lot of mistakes. The two goals we conceded were due to defensive errors.
"We improved in the second half but we just couldn't convert our chances.
"I also felt that the referee didn’t control the game. There were lots of missed tackles which could have injured the players. Luckily we didn’t have any serious injuries.
"We need to concentrate on our few remaining games especially against Jerudong and Lun Bawang to take as many points as possible.
"Improvement is also needed to be done quickly especially in the attacking department as well as defending. We are a young team and we will learn from this experience.”

No comments:

Post a Comment