Search This Blog

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Floodlight failure forces DST Super League game off

A QAF FC player shoots the ball during a DST Super League 2012/2013 football match last night held at the Balapan Track and Field at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Sports Complex in Berakas. The game was suspended following a floodlight failure in the 12th minute. The rematch will be announced at a later date. Picture: BT/Yusri Adanan
Sunday, January 13, 2013

LAST NIGHT'S DST Super League match between Wijaya FC and QAF FC was suspended after the game was plunged into darkness following a floodlight failure at the Balapan Track and Field at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Sports Complex in Berakas.

The two teams were hauled off the pitch after a floodlight failure 12 minutes into the game when the score was 0-0.

The match was suspended for 15 minutes before light was restored and both sets of players returned to the field.

However, the electricity went off again a few minutes later and match official Endy Vyzanny Hj Zainuddin was powerless to do anything except to call off the match,

"The power went down twice in the game," they told The Brunei Times last night.

"The first time it went off we had to wait for 15 minutes before it was restored, but when the power went down for the second time, I needed to call off the game for the safety of the both teams and the crowds," he added.

In a statement released after the match the National Football Association of Brunei Darussalam (NFABD) said it apologised for any inconvenience caused.

An announcement on the date and venue of the rematch will be made in time.

For QAF, last night's postponement was their second in the DST Super League after last month's tie against the Royal Brunei Armed Forces Sports Council (MS ABDB) was called off due to unfavourable field conditions as a result of heavy rainfall.

"It is very disappointing for us, especially for the players who train very hard for this game," said QAF manager Rahim Daud.

"It is quite worrying as well as we might have changes in fixtures in the future games," he added.

Rahim, though, was clear that no blame could be attached to the match officials and organisers for the call-off.

"There is nothing that they can do about the power problem, and they were right to postpone the game. However, I hope that it will not happen again in the future."

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment