Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2013

QAF prevail over Jerudong 2-1

A Jerudong FC player (front) in action against a QAF FC player during DST Super League match yesterday at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas.Picture: BT/Yee Chun Leong
Monday, January 28, 2013

QAF survived a late charge by Jerudong to prevail 2-1 in the DST Super League at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas yesterday.

In what was their second win of the season, forward Adie Arsham Md Salleh scored both goals for QAF.

It was the best of starts for QAF with a lightning goal by Adie Arsham just 37 seconds into the game.

The ball should have been cleared by the Jerudong defenders but a miscommunication with their goalkeeper Ismaidnuddin Hj Mohammad allowed Adie Arsham to pounce and give QAF the lead.

QAF remained in control for much of the game and should have doubled their lead in the 21st minute.

Ratano Hj Tuah had sent a cross from the left and was met by Mardi Mirza Abdullah Bujang just to be headed over the crossbar.

Two minutes later Md Khairol Hj Md Yaa'kub of Jerudong tested Junaidi Akim in between the QAF sticks with a long range effort.

QAF did have good chances as they went on the attack but the scoreline didn't change as they remained in front 1-0 at halftime.

Adie Arsham almost got his second of the match after Jerudong defender Md Enddy Zulyady Sapar slipped.

In a one-on-one situation, the forward could only fire towards Ismaidnuddin in the 50th minute.

However, he made no mistake in the next minute by being at the right place at the right time. Md Shah Azhar Abdullah Ahar had flown in a cross from the right but was misjudged by Ismaidnuddin and hit the post.

Adie Arsham was fastest to the rebound for a simple tap in to make it 2-0.

Jerudong were desperate for a goal and Muhd Abu Bakar Mahari fired one in the 65th minute that required the full stretch of Junaidi Akim to push it over the crossbar.

The ensuing corner saw referee Md Hadiman Hj Shahbudin point to the spot after a foul against one of the Jerudong players.

Md Esmendy Ibrahim scored the penalty to make it 2-1 and it breathed new life into his team.

Three minutes later Md Esmendy had another chance but saw his effort denied by the post.

The momentum was clearly with Jerudong as they threw everything they had forward in search for an equalliser.

Md Esmendy continued to be a menace and QAF were relieved to have the ball cleared off the line three minutes from time.

In injury time, Md Enddy Soehardy Sapar had a shot on target but Junaidi was at his toes to make a save to ensure this team claims the win.

QAF manager, Rahim Hj Daud, was delighted that they were able to get out of the game with all three points.

"I'm still happy with the overall performance even though our strikers were not at peak performance. We could have been up by three goals in the first half," said Rahim after the triumph.

"We were quite fortunate to get that one goal in the second half. If not, we would be under more pressure. But more importantly, we go all three points from the game. That is what we needed and hopefully we will be able to put in some better performances for the upcoming matches," Rahim added.

The win propels QAF to sixth place with seven points from four matches while Jerudong drop to seventh with five points from six games.

The competition continues today with the clash of the titans between two unbeaten teams - Royal Brunei Armed Forces Sports Council (MS ABDB) and Majra United FC - at the Balapan Track & Field of the Hassanal Bolkiah National Sports Complex in Berakas.

Kick off is at 8.15pm.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment